Monday, December 6, 2010

Good enough to tell Granny!

Editor's Note: MOD Voices is pleased to welcome one of our favorite 'behind the scenes of radio' guys, Chuck Gatlin! 

Until last Wednesday, my kids and I had never been to the Museum of Discovery together. My kids have both been with school groups or daycare field trips, but Wednesday was the first time I was able to see them enjoy the museum.

Our visit started on a high note. I was able to find a great parking spot with 25 minutes left on the meter. How cool is that?

Our first stop was Room To Grow. Emma, my 2 yr old, had a ball. As soon as she would get to one play area, she could hardly wait to get to the next. She especially liked the little stage and the barnyard.




Since Room To Grow is for kids 6 and under, my 8 yr old, Robert, and I left Emma with mom and we hit the big kid (and aren’t we all big kids?) stuff.



We weren’t in there two minutes before Robert ran into one his friends from school. And that was it. They ran from exhibit to exhibit…“Hey, come do this…come check this out…no, come do this…watch what this does.”


 

The cloud maker was the big hit. Robert was quick to correct me when I made the mistake of calling it smoke coming out. He said “dad, it’s not smoke, it’s steam.”

Another one of Robert’s favorite stops was the earthquake table. He built and destroyed a small city of wooden block buildings.

Eventually, we made it to Harry’s Big Adventure: My Bug World. Each display was approached with much trepidation. The kids wouldn’t open any of the flaps for fear that a bug would fly out at them. When we were in the kitchen area, Robert found the cockroaches in the "under the counter area" a bit disturbing. He kept a safe distance and didn’t spend any longer than necessary looking at them.

 














Before we left, we took on a family project.



We put together the large topographical puzzle of Arkansas. We were so proud of ourselves.




That evening, we made the 3 hour drive to my mom’s house in Paragould. After we got there, Annette and I were in the kitchen having a bite to eat and we could hear the conversation from the living room.


“Granny, we went to the Museum of Discovery today. They have this thing that you push down on and it makes clouds. And there’s a baton that’s straight and when you push it, it goes through a curved hole. And they have an earthquake table with blocks you can build with and then watch’em fall.”
I think any parent would agree that you know you have had a successful outing when it’s good enough to tell Granny about.

* * * * * * * * * * *
 
Chuck is the Promo Guy for the Point 94.1, husband to Annette, father to Robert and Emma, and drummer for Canvas and the Little Rock First Christian Church Praise Band.


No comments: