Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"Dude, it's Cool!" Susan Toone, Part 2: Harry

Editor's Note: MOD Voices guest blogger Susan Toone continues. Today is all about Harry from the Museum of Discovery's current exhibit, Harry's Big Adventure.


Harry is a travelling mantis; he was in a fancy hotel room somewhere in the heartland ordering takeout when we visited. However, he left behind video that my oldest daughter and I watched over and over again. Harry seized a butterfly and ate it alive, followed by a black bug, followed by a lime green bug….. After each meal, Harry delicately cleaned his hands of every morsel, as I do after I’ve made something chocolate or a meringue. I couldn’t stop watching him. My daughter commented, “What a slow and painful death. Not the best kind of death,” and then added “I’m both freaked out and fascinated."




I got chills thinking about my close encounter with one of Harry’s brethren while recently watering an Autumn Joy during a really dry spell. I thought my mantis was a leaf, so I bent to pluck him; he startled me by flourishing his little arms, informing me that I should really consider my next move. I raised the nozzle a bit higher so he could enjoy a nice shower vs. a deluge. He climbed to the tip-top of the plant and signaled his thanks – he couldn’t get enough of the water. I didn’t know what a predator he was then, and I shudder to think of the consequences had I not done his bidding. He never did tell me where he was from.



(Incidentally, the “praying mantis fist” is a form of martial arts, inspired by the aggressiveness of guys like Harry.)



Weekend bug petting zoo
Next to the scary videos of Harry, we discovered a family of Dung Beetles. They almost shimmered and might be more appealing if they weren’t eating and playing in poop. Unlike some of the other insects (for example, Cuddles the Scorpion, who looked lonely), they looked very busy and we couldn’t help but wonder: where does the poop in the habitat come from? Because I have two dogs and I’d be happy to contribute.



We experienced what a locust attack would sound like and watched a few people, including my daughter, eat savory bugs and worms prepared by the Terminix chefs. I could go on and on about the bugs – who knew they were so fascinating.




 Susan Toone lives with her husband, two teenagers and two dogs in Little Rock. The husband and dogs are great; the teenagers are driving her crazy. She works at Acxiom and has a blog.

Editor's Note: Up next..what bugs could teach a thing or two to celebrities.

No comments: